Education Fellowship Evaluation Report
As part of its commitment to education and practice the Institute initiated Education Fellowships in 2012, providing financial assistance to support cross-sector and cross-border learning and knowledge transfer, to facilitate the development of skills, capacity and leadership. Fellowships focused on exploring innovative developments in palliative care education including: visits to specialist palliative care services and education centres for knowledge exchange and transfer.
The purpose of the Education Fellowship Programme was to:
- provide opportunities for individuals to engage, learn and enhance their knowledge about innovative palliative care education
- provide opportunities for individuals to translate knowledge into practice which will benefit their own organisation and the wider palliative care community in line with the AIIHPC strategic vision for palliative care education
- provide opportunities to develop collaboration and networks with palliative care educators and clinical services.
Three calls for Fellowships were made in 2012, 2013 and 2014 and each year had a specific focus. Applications were invited from individuals working in either clinical practice or education settings in the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland with an interest in palliative care education.
In each year it was anticipated that potential participants would:
- gain valuable knowledge and understanding of innovative palliative care education and practice operating in other organisations and/or jurisdictions
- develop links with other organisation(s) which may lead to continued and/or future collaboration
- participate in networking and learning activities with peers during and after the event
- engage in wider learning opportunities offered through AIIHPC (seminars, master classes, or round-table discussions).
Dr Maria Brenner, University College Dublin, led on producing ‘An Evaluation of the All Ireland Institute of Hospice and Palliative Care Education Fellowship Programme 2012 – 2014’. The report evaluates the Education Fellowship recipients and their managers experience of applying and completing their site visits. The report states that the ‘AIIHPC Education Fellowship Programme was positively evaluated by all those who took part in the on-line survey, with numerous outputs identified’.