Needs Analysis Report
AIIHPC undertook a Needs Analysis of General Palliative Care Education in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland to ascertain the current level of general palliative care education provided to health and social care professionals and to identify general palliative care education priorities for the next two years.
- Current palliative care education provision may not be fully addressing the needs of health and social care professionals, despite the fact that a wide range of courses and programmes are available and are detailed on a database
- It is important that managers be aware of current palliative care education provision
- Palliative care education should be focussed on providing programmes and courses that are clinically relevant
- Palliative care education courses and programmes should be aimed at a multidisciplinary audience
- Palliative care programmes and courses should be designed to ensure that health and social care professionals receive relevant instruction and training to meet the needs of individuals with life-limiting conditions and their families, irrespective of diagnosis.