Palliative Care Senior Nurses Network
The Palliative Care Senior Nurses Network (PCSNN) was set up in 2012 to provide an environment of structured professional support and activity that promotes information exchange and leadership capacity. The PCSNN believe that senior nurses who are at the forefront of palliative care delivery should play a key role in shaping policy and service delivery to meet the changing needs our populations.
Two phases of the PCSNN have now been successfully completed. A dual approach was taken to develop the network and to build leadership capacity through active learning and undertaking the delivery of meaningful initiatives:
- Joint Renal and Palliative Care Masterclass
- Grapevine (nurses-grapevine.com) is an all-Ireland electronic network
- An educational resource called Mind Matters: Raising Awareness of Depression in Palliative Care
Five Initiatives were developed in Phase II:
- Constipation: audit in motion: A pilot of the constipation audit tool in a variety of adult palliative care settings, across the island of Ireland.
- An online education programme for health care professionals to support the implementation of National Guidelines on the Management of Constipation.
- Keep yourself bowel happy: on-line resource for carers of and people with palliative care needs
- A booklet called Palliative Care: Asking the questions that matter to me: A booklet developed to help people gain the information they need about their own illness or their loved ones illness
- Promotion of the Children and Young Peoples – Palliative Hub